Install Proquest for Word
Insert citations into your paper and automatically create a bibliography!
Step 1. Launch ProQuest for Word
Note: The first time you launch ProQuest for Word, you must be connected to the internet in order to log in to your RefWorks library and sync it with ProQuest for Word.
Logging In To ProQuest for Word:
1. Click ProQuest from the Microsoft Word ribbon.
2. Click Log In.
3. Click "ProQuest" and then enter your email address and RefWorks password and click "Login".
The first time you log in to ProQuest for Word, it will automatically “sync” with your RefWorks library. This may take a few seconds. It is downloading your references and collections. Any time you make changes to your RefWorks items you can click Sync my Database your new and edited items will be added to ProQuest for Word.
During this period, you can still access all of Word’s functionality, but the ProQuest for Word functions will not become active until syncing has finished.
Step 2. Selecting Your Output Style
The first thing you will want to do is select an output style for your document. Any in-text citations or footnotes and your bibliography will be displayed in your document while you write your paper – in the output style you have selected. You can always change the style later if you need to.
1. Click the Style drop down. You will see a list of Flow’s popular styles.
2. Click on the style name.
3. You can change your output style and the formatting of your paper at any time by clicking on Style and selecting a new output style.
Step 3. Write Your Paper and Inserting Citations or Footnotes and Your Bibliography
Note: You may want to sync your Flow library with ProQuest for Word if you have recently added items you want to use in your paper. Click the Sync my database icon to download new or updated items.
When you are ready to insert an in-text citation or footnote into your paper:
1. Click the Insert Citation and Insert New option to launch the insert/edit citation box. If you have previously used ProQuest for Word, you may see some recently selected citations listed above the Insert New option. You can select citations displayed from this list or access all your references from the Insert New option.
2. Once the Insert/Edit Citation box displays, you can access your items by collection or search. The search box will search every field.. You can use “AND” and “OR” when using the search box.
Tip: Use the horizontal scroll bar to see the full title. Right-click on the item and select Show Full Reference Detail to display all fields of information (file attachments are not displayed).
3. Click on the item you wish to insert into your paper. You will see a preview of the formatted citation in your current Output Style.
4. Click OK to insert your formatted citation into your paper.
Tip: To add a second item to a single citation, click the + button in the Compose Citation area and then select the reference from your list.
5. To insert a footnote instead of an in-text citation, click the Make Footnote checkbox in the Edit References area. Once you make a footnote and finish editing the citation, you will not be able to undo this action. However, you can always add a new in-text citation.
6. You can insert your bibliography anywhere in your paper while you are writing. Click Bibliography Options, Insert Bibliography. Note: the bibliography will be inserted wherever the cursor is in your paper. You can click Remove Bibliography and re-insert if it you need to change the location.
Step 4. Save your formatted paper (you should really save it periodically while you are writing!).
Installing the Google Docs Add-on for the New RefWorks
2. You’ll be asked to “accept” certain conditions of using the add-on:
3. Once you have accepted the conditions, you’re brought into your new document and are ready to start writing your paper.
Working with the ProQuest RefWorks Add-on for Google Docs
Continue to add citations and watch your bibliography update right in front of you.
You can also add footnotes (make sure your output style supports them!) by using Google Docs footnote option (Insert, Footnote):
Changing your output style:
There are two ways you can change your output style for your paper:
Sometimes, especially if you have another add-in for a citation manager, Word won't automatically include ProQuest for Word in your Word program. We've found 2 different reasons for this: