To learn more about how to use RefWorks, look at the following links for quick and easy help.
When logging in you may need to insert the UST Refworks Group Code
Alumni have lifelong access to RefWorks but must transfer your student account to an alumni account.
RefWorks allows you to:
- Create a personal database online where you can store an unlimited amounts of references that are, accessible from any computer without having to download or install any software
- Import references automatically from a wide variety of databases.
- Organize references so that you can sort and search your stored references quickly and easily.
- Format bibliographies and manuscripts
- Attach files to your citations (100MB of file storage for attaching files at up to 5MB each)
In order to use RefWorks you must create an account
Creating an Account
- New users must first create an individual account in order to use RefWorks
- After accessing RefWorks, you will come to the "RefWorks User Login for University of St. Thomas" page
- Click on Sign up for an Individual Account
- Fill in all fields as directed
- Click on Register
Adding Citations to RefWorks
Adding References to Your Personal Database
References can be added to RefWorks either electronically or manually. The method you use will depend on where you find a reference. See the Saving Citations tab for more info.
RefWorks isn't perfect: the quality of the citation in the database where you found the reference determines its accuracy. You need to become familiar enough with your chosen citation style (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.) to edit citations in RefWorks when necessary to make your Bibliography accurate.
For information on the major citation styles, see our Citing Sources guide.